Helping to encourage tobacco-free living in York County, SC, and ultimately eliminating the toll of tobacco in our county. The Coalition is affiliated with the state-wide South Carolina Tobacco Free Collaborative and with the toll-free South CarolinaTobacco Quitline [1-800-QUIT-NOW].
- Faith and Health: Tobacco-free Living in Faith-based Organizations
- Smoking Cessation Support for Women of Child-bearing Age
- Point-of-Sale Analysis of Tobacco and Alcohol Retail Outlets
- Smoke-free Multi-unit Housing: Avoiding the Dangers of Second-hand Tobacco Smoke
Freedom From Smoking:
Anyone over the age of 18 looking to quit smoking can register for the next American Lung Association’s tobacco cessation program, Freedom From Smoking by contacting Keystone Prevention Center at 803-324-4118
Freedom From Smoking is the leading smoking cessation program for over 25 years! The program covers:
- Assertive communication
- Coping skills
- Proper use of quit-smoking medications
- Building and maintaining motivation
- Nicotine addiction
- Relapse prevention
- Social support
- Stress management
- Weight management
York County Counter Tools Project:
The purpose of the project is to implement policies that grant every person, without qualification, an opportunity to live a healthy life, in a healthy and equitable place.
With the help of local college students we are able to collect point-of-sale data which represents 125+ tobacco retailers in York County. Check out the SC Mapper to view locations, density, and policies: https://mapping.countertools.org/southcarolina/ .
Counter Tool Goals:
- Establish ordinance: There will be no new tobacco retail establishments within 1,000 ft of schools.
- Require York County businesses to acquire tobacco retail licensing
- York County (unincorporated areas) and the municipalities of Fort Mill and Rock Hill have enacted 100% tobacco-smoke-free indoor workplace protection ordinances (includes not only restaurants and bars, but also movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc.).
- All four public school districts in York County have adopted a uniform 100% tobacco-free model policy for all their campuses.
- York Technical College and Clinton College have adopted a 100% tobacco free policy for their campuses.
- The City of Tega Cay has adopted a smoke-free resolution for all their park and recreation facilities.
TFYCC has formed workgroups for each of the above initiatives, and is always looking for new partners to help reach our goals. Please let us know of your interest!
The Coalition meets monthly on the 4th Wednesday in Rock Hill at Piedmont Medical Center.
For more information about becoming directly involved with the Tobacco Free York County Coalition, please email Dr. David Keely at email@example.com anytime.